Military Barracks

"This would be a good place for a station."
    - Surveyor Alfred Hillman, February, 1837.


Built as a Military Outpost by soldiers of the 51st British Regiment, this is Kojonup's oldest building. A four roomed stone structure, the Barracks is in near perfect condition. It houses an interpretation of many aspects of Kojonup's early history and features exhibits of the various roles the building has played. 

The building was built in 1845 to replace the original wooden barracks hut. It later became a school, a meeting place and then a private home, before becoming the town's museum. 

Today it features a Military Room with material from the theatres of war in which Australians have been involved.

While the Barracks was being used as a school, the students planted the large peppermint trees (pictured), which are now over 100 years old.


Opening times


Sundays from 1.30pm to 3.30pm

Or by arrangement with:

The Kojonup Visitor Centre
Address: 143 Albany Highway Kojonup WA 6395
Phone: +61 8 9831 0500
Fax: +61 8 9831 0300
Email: kojonupvisitors@bigpond.com
  • The Military Barracks, present.The Military Barracks, present.
  • The Military Barracks, past.The Military Barracks, past.